Santa Rosa Criminal Attorney
Best Criminal Defense Lawyers In Santa Rosa
The criminal defense attorneys at Li & Lozada Law Group, LLP, understand the aggressive and dedicated representation you need to stand up against criminal charges. A criminal conviction can lead to a permanent record against you, stripping you of your freedoms and rights as an American citizen. Protecting you from this life-altering event is our top priority. Let us build a strong defense for you and make the courts dismiss your case. With more than 50 years of combined criminal defense experience, we’re the law firm of choice through California’s North and Greater Bay areas.
Let Our Experience Change Your Outcome
All criminal defense attorneys aren’t created equal. Many take the slow approach, delaying case investigation until they receive police documents or even until the first court date. At Li & Lozada Law Group, we know that the first few days following an arrest are critical in defending against charges. Our team will get to work on your behalf immediately. With an office just minutes away from the Sonoma County courthouses and jail, we’ll be by your side to represent you during police questioning as soon as you call.
Our backgrounds in the criminal system as detectives, police officers, and investigators for the District Attorney’s Office give our firm a unique edge in criminal defense law. This extensive criminal defense experience will work in your favor throughout the entire process. Our attorneys have handled thousands of criminal cases throughout California, from crimes like driving under the influence (DUI) to manslaughter and homicide.
With Paul Lozada’s 18-year background as a veteran police officer and Michael Li’s history as a Deputy District Attorney, there’s no crime that we can’t build a defense around. We’ll intervene in your legal representation at any stage during the process, from the criminal investigation period to having your record expunged. Whether you’re a victim, the accused, or a witness to a crime, if you believe you need skilled legal representation, contact us immediately.
We’ve successfully tried dozens of criminal cases in state and federal courts, but we’ll do our best to avoid going to trial. Instead, we’ll strive to have the courts dismiss your case through expert negotiation, mediation, and arbitration with an unbiased third party judge. Our litigation strategies keep your best interest in mind, doing everything in our power to keep your case quiet, out of the courtroom, and cost efficient. No matter what twists and turns your case may take, we’ll be with you every step of the way.
The Li & Lozada Difference
When it comes to criminal defense in California, you need an attorney who genuinely cares about what happens to you. If your defense attorney isn’t your biggest advocate, who will be? While legal knowhow and criminal law experience are vital traits every attorney needs, it’s the level of care that truly separates good attorneys from great ones. Our previous clients vouch for the Li & Lozada difference, thanking us for keeping them informed throughout the entire process, staying attentive to their needs, and understanding that “there is a human element to every case.”
In most criminal cases, the accused is a regular person who made a bad decision. We’ve all hit low points in our lives, when we do something we regret out of desperation or lack of foresight. Unfortunately for some people, these things result in breaking the law. The law is in place to protect American citizens—even those accused of crimes. At Li & Lozada Law Group, we firmly believe in the mantra “innocent until proven guilty,” and we treat every client with the care and respect that they deserve.
We understand how confusing and frightening a criminal case can be to the accused and their families. That’s why we always keep you in the loop during criminal case proceedings, answering your questions and taking your phone calls 24/7. We never ignore client calls, and we take the time to explain every step and decision we make thoroughly before proceeding. Our role as your legal representative doesn’t end when the gavel strikes the block: you can count on us to speak with you anytime in the future about your criminal case or record. That’s the Li & Lozada promise.
Crimes That We Defend Against
No matter what type of crime the legal system accuses you of, contact us to discuss your case right away. Our top practice areas are those we’ve successfully tried in Sonoma County and beyond, from our law office based in Santa Rosa. If you find yourself facing charges for any of these crimes, we can help:
- Driving under the influence. In California, police can arrest drivers with blood alcohol concentration levels at 0.08% or higher. If a driver is under the legal drinking age of 21, this limit drops to 0.01%. DUI also encompasses driving under the influence of drugs, including excessive amounts of prescription or over-the-counter medications. A DUI conviction stays on your record for 10 years.
- Domestic violence. Domestic violence incurs serious legal penalties, including several years in jail and hefty fines. Whether someone falsely accused you of domestic abuse or an incident really occurred, there are ways to resolve your case. If you’re the victim of domestic violence, we can help you obtain a restraining order.
- Drug crimes. Drug offenses can take a variety of forms, from possession to distribution. Depending on the severity and nature of your offense, you might face a misdemeanor or felony charge. Your case might deal with the unauthorized sale of prescription medications or possession of illicit substances. Whatever the circumstances may be, we can help you face the criminal justice system head on.
- Violent crimes. Violent crimes are those involving force upon the victim. This includes murder, robbery, burglary, rape, assault, battery, carjacking, kidnapping, home invasion, arson, homicide, and manslaughter. Our Law Group gives suspects of violent crimes the chance that they deserve to avoid a criminal conviction.
- Weapons charges. California has dozens of weapons laws, with new bills made official every year. It can be difficult to keep up with current weapons laws, and one mistake can lead to a criminal charge of possession, carrying, or improper handling of a weapon. Weapons convictions can result in fines, jail time, and a criminal record.
- Gang-related offenses. There are about 160 organized gangs in Sonoma County, California, with over 3,400 gang members. Li & Lozada Law Group has represented gang members and people connected to organized crime units throughout California and can fight your underlying charges.
- Theft and property crimes. Whether the police have charged you with burglary, robbery, theft, motor vehicle theft, or arson, our attorneys will pursue the best course of action for you. We’re your best chance of securing a more favorable outcome and reduced punishment.
- Fish and game crime. Many people don’t realize that California has stringent fishing and game regulations. These regulations are complex, specific, and strict. People who fish or hunt on private property or without a license may not understand how serious the law takes these infractions. Our attorneys will defend your case skillfully according to current fish and game laws.
Please contact us regardless of the crime that police have accused you of in California. Our practice area list isn’t exhaustive, and we wish to help every accused criminal in the region seek justice—no matter what the list of charges includes. We offer the experienced, capable legal representation that you need to have the courts dismiss your case, reduce your sentence, or expunge your record.
Steps in a Criminal Case
If the police arrest you for a crime, it will help you to know what to expect. While every criminal case is different, there are a few basic elements involved. First, the police will take you to jail and complete the booking process. Here are our top tips during booking:
- Don’t hassle the police about your one phone call. By law, the police must allow you the call. They don’t, however, have to give you the phone call until after they complete the booking process. Police may take their time before allowing you the call, but they’ll usually give it to you right away.
- Be cautious with what you say about your case. Police can use anything you say during this process against you in court. You may refuse to answer questions until you have a lawyer present.
- Call a trusted friend, relative, or attorney. Again, be wary of what you say over the phone, as police may monitor or record your conversations. If you call a friend or relative, ask him or her to contact an attorney about your arrest.
In most criminal cases, you can get out of jail if someone posts bail. A judge will set your bail amount depending on the circumstances of your alleged crime. Bail is cash, property, or a bond someone gives as a guarantee that you’ll appear in court at your ordered date. Failure to appear in court after posting bail can lead to further charges and a warrant for your arrest.
During the early stages of a criminal case, you’ll speak with your criminal defense attorney about your options. There are many defenses for criminal charges, from pleading innocent to taking a plea bargain. When you work with an attorney from Li & Lozada Law Group, you’ll know that your attorney has your best interest at heart and will advise you of the best route for your case. Criminal charges may or may not go to court.
After your trial or meeting with the judge, the courts will find you guilty or innocent of the charges. If found guilty, you have the right to appeal your conviction. Our attorneys will do the best we can to reduce your sentence if convicted, and we’ll remain by your side while you fulfill your punishment. We’ll inform you of your rights as a convicted criminal as well as any additional options at your disposal. If you wish to seek record expungement at some point in the future, we’ll help you navigate this process as well.
Get in Touch With Us Today
As soon as you can after an arrest, contact Li & Lozada Law Group, LLP. We’re committed to defending accused criminals in the North Bay area and beyond to the best of our abilities. Whether this is your first arrest, second arrest, or fifth arrest, we have the resources you need to resolve your case and help you get back on your feet. No matter what charges or consequences you’re facing, you’ll feel much more confident with experienced criminal defense attorneys by your side. Call (707) 321-5287 today to speak with one of our lead lawyers.