Sex Crimes Lawyer Serving Sonoma County
If you have been accused of committing a sexual criminal offense in Sonoma County, it would be difficult to exaggerate the severity of the penalties you now face. Most sex crimes in California are classified as felonies, meaning that you are at risk of being fined and sent to prison for a minimum of one year, with many crimes carrying sentences of years in prison and life on probation. Having a sex crime conviction on your criminal record can make it difficult or impossible to find suitable housing or employment. Conviction of a sex crime can result in mandatory lifetime registration as a sex offender. That is why it is critical to contact a skilled Santa Rosa Sex Crimes Attorney.
In addition to prison time and fines, when you are convicted of a sex offense, you are forever labeled a sex offender. Sex offenders must register and be tracked no matter where they move. As a sex offender, anyone can look online and learn where you live and potentially even details about your conviction.
The Santa Rosa criminal defense attorneys at the Li & Lozada Law Group have obtained “not guilty” verdicts for clients accused of sex crimes in Santa Rosa and throughout Sonoma County. We will use our extensive criminal defense experience to defend you from charges such as:
- Statutory rape – Defined as an adult having sex with a minor. According to California law, no one under the age of 18 can consent to sex. This means, if you are 19 and your girlfriend is 17, legally not meeting the age of consent, you could, technically be charged with this offense and suffer severe penalties and consequences if convicted.
- Forcible rape – What people commonly refer to as general “rape.” Forcible rape can happen between any two people when sex is not consensual on the part of one.
- Sexual battery – This is a general sex offense that can be applied to many circumstances where elements of other charges can’t be fulfilled. Touching someone in a sexual manner when the contact is unwanted can be considered sexual battery.
- Child pornography
- Spousal rape and domestic violence
- Child molestation
- Internet solicitation of a minor
- Sexual assault
- Solicitation of a prostitute
- Indecent exposure
- Lewd and Lascivious Acts – This is a very complex offense with many potential variables. It is commonly called child molestation. Your charge and potential sentence for this crime can depend on the acts committed and the age of the child.
In many of these Sonoma County violent crimes and sex crimes cases, there are two very different versions of the events, and one side may include lies or embellishments. We are very careful to investigate every angle to see if the complaint arose from a scorned girlfriend, a family dispute, or other situation where one side is looking for leverage over another. Our goal is to minimize the consequences associated with the charge by having your case dismissed, negotiating a fair plea bargain, or zealously arguing for a not-guilty verdict, if a trial is necessary.
If you are charged with statutory rape or any sex crime in Sonoma County or California, you need an experienced Santa Rosa sex crimes attorney who knows California sexual offense law. Former Sonoma County Prosecutor, Michael C. Li, now provides legal representation to defendants suspected of criminal offenses. He knows how to challenge witness statements and forensic evidence, dig up the truth about consent and present the best possible defense to these devastating charges.
If you face sex charges in California, time is of the essence. The outcome of your case, or even whether or not you will be charged with a crime, may depend on how quickly a skilled criminal defense attorney intervenes. Contact the Li & Lozada Law Group at 707-321-5287 today for an initial consultation. The Li & Lozada Law Group is a defense firm providing legal representation to criminal offenders and clients facing litigation proceedings in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Windsor, Sonoma, Healdsburg, Cotati, Sebastopol, Cloverdale and throughout the counties of Sonoma, Marin, Mendocino, and Napa, California.